We were very fortunate to miss the rain showers on a recent morning when the Luray Garden Club visited the farm. The members learned about the mission and projects of the White House Farm Foundation, enjoyed a wonderful lunch catered by West Main Market in Luray and enjoyed seeing the interior of the beautifully restored brick farmhouse and hearing some of the history of the farm. The Luray Garden Club was formed in 1931 and federated in 1933. Members have worked to enhance the community through tree and bulb plantings, hosting home tours and educational workshops, providing fresh seasonal decorations for public meetings and events and holding flower shows, amongst other projects.
We also enjoyed recently hosting a group of boy scouts on the first night of their six day canoe trip down the Shenandoah. Thanks to John Gibson with Downriver Canoe Company for contacting us about the possibility of the scouts camping at the Grove. It was great to meet the scouts and their troop leaders and we enjoyed telling them about the history of the White House and provide information on the watershed and ways which the river has formed the history of Page County.